Monday, March 29, 2010

Tits, tats and a little bit of feminism



So my lovely friend and I were just discussing the “modern” connotation of the word “feminism”, she wrote a nice little diddy about it, here. And so now I will throw originality to the window and piggy-back off her brilliance.





I shave my legs. It makes me feel sexy.

I wear a bra every day. I love my tits, I want them to look their best.

I make dick jokes every chance I get.

When my boyfriend and I go out to dinner, I pay for myself.

I am not demure – I am not passive – and I don’t take shit from anyone. This does not make me manly.

I think women look better naked than men – I’m not a lesbian.

My dude does the heavy lifting so I don’t have to.

Being a feminist to me does not mean that we deserve special treatment.

In my life there have been a few things that stuck out to me:

“Girls with tattoos are easy”

I love that people think this. I don’t have a tramp-stamp. I don’t have a little butterfly on my ankle. I don’t have a fairy on my ass - I have a full sleeve of daemons depicting the apocalypse – a Viking on my back – and Odin’s raven’s on my shoulder. My tattoos are more badass than 95% of the males I have met with tattoos. My female friends with tattoos are the classiest dames I know. Try the girl with the word “JUICY” written across the rear before you try us ladies with tats.

To quote: “it toughens girls in a strange way that makes people feel like they are just less ashamed in general. And that gets flipped in a negative sense when sexuality comes into the picture.” You’re damn right I’m less ashamed. I am proud of who I am, where I’ve been, what I’ve done. But this has nothing to do with being female.

A side note when dealing with people with a lot of tattoo’s:

DON’T TOUCH US. I hate being touched by strangers, my tattoos do NOT give you the right to touch me. In fact don’t even ask if you can look at them up close. You can stare at me from afar, but I don’t want you to compare your quarter sized butterfly to my extensive work. Doesn’t compare. If you have sat in that chair long enough to forget now many hours you have spent there, then and ONLY then can you compare your work to mine.


“You can’t possibly know what you’re talking about, you’re a girl.”

I listen to metal, primarily the extreme forms, death metal, black metal ect… (we aren’t talking slipknot here kids – yeesh) - stuff most girls wouldn’t touch with a 10 ft pole. It is, and will forever be, a male dominated musical genre. When I go to shows its always entertaining to me to watch the reactions of the guys around me. They stare at me like I am an oddity, perplexed by my presence. I am never worried at a show – I know that most of the dudes there will kick someone’s ass if they ever mess with me, not that I couldn’t deal with it myself, but its nice to know that they have my back.

Now here’s the negatives: I constantly have to prove myself. I am frequently not taken seriously, “you can’t possibly know what you’re talking about, you’re a girl.” Yeah, I’m a blonde girl, with big tits, I am bubbly and get really stoked on a lot of shit. But I am tough as nails and I love metal. I am more versed than most guys. I am “one of the guys” and I like it that way.

I don’t wear plaid mini skirts.

I don’t wear a corset with my boobs falling out.

I don’t dance when I head-bang.

Yes, I AM dating a guy in bands – he did not get me into metal.

I love when I come across awesome female metal musicians. It makes me so happy. I just think “fuck you, see we can do this too!”



I love being a girl.

1 comment: